Do I need a mode for a freelance writer? Is it possible to work effectively at home? How to plan my day and week: where to start, what not to forget? Parse the pressing issues of authors, freelancers, and also repeat the basic rules of time management.
Morning freelance writer gloss, like any other freelancer, usually good. (Of course, if he doesn't have a cat demanding Breakfast at 6-00). When and how to start the day, the author decides for himself. But don't ahead of time to enjoy and relax. Otherwise there is a risk that the work will stop, come the deadline, the customer will be disappointed and will cut the poor guy forever from my memory.
Without self-organization, planning the working day to perform the job in time difficult. Not necessary to be the guru of time management, read the hundredth book on time management or to enroll in another master-class to be successful, but to ignore the basics of time management still not worth it.
Description the lives of prominent people shows that they all worked on schedule, and the weekend they had more than the writing of modern authors. You should not write off their contribution and achievements to the talent and genius. If not daily practice, not talent would manifest itself. Freelance authors should look at the lifestyles of successful writers and other creative souls. The experience of others can suggest a solution, inspire and help to find your own optimum mode.
At the same time do not forget that a journalist's work is still different from the work of independent writers, composers, and artists. And it will have to consider when planning the working day.
Let's look at what is included in the work of the author of the gloss:
- Search of the customer – study and analysis of publications and websites.
- Receipt of the order, the potential author should make contact with the customer, be interested in it (to suggest topics for articles, send in the synopses).
- Gathering information for an article to re-read books, publications, find heroes, experts, conduct interviews, attend events, etc.
- Writing text!
In one sitting to do the impossible. And even if you already have an order to write high-quality text in one day is very difficult. You need to be prepared for the fact that the article would require hours, days, weeks, and sometimes, in the case of longride and months of work. So, without planning and clear schedule the author will not be easy.
The workday schedule of the author of the gloss
Let's try to schedule for a glossy of the author. This can be done on paper to computer – the choice is yours.
Do not confuse the list, which can be dozens of items, and schedule. The main difference is the time intervals. For any task that you put in the schedule, you need to choose the time (start and duration).
Get started scheduling, it is more logical to start from a constant, habitual and, as often happens, you are not too specific: write down all the required daily business, which you currently can't (not want) to give. Examples: make Breakfast for the kids, walk the dog, go to a lecture (if you learn), sleep, etc.
After your schedule has filled up the intervals, "obligatory", you will see how much is left of free time. I hope that still a lot of work.
Filling the schedule, be fair and objective in terms of required time, otherwise the plan will be ineffective. If in doubt, try a few days to make a timeline.
When all of the mandatory things to be written to, make a:
- a list of current domestic Affairs, which are not tied to time;
- a list of work tasks of the author of the gloss.
In each list, select a priority.
Select your schedule time to work – time that you are willing to devote to journalism. Start with short intervals. Better work 30 minutes than 2 hours to surf the Internet, convincing himself that search for information and select the heroes for the "burning" of the article. You can immediately fit into the schedule of a specific work task or to hold the entire list of work tasks in front of the eyes and in the allotted time to proceed to one of them. The choice is yours. The first option is harder, but more effective, because it does not take the time in making a decision.
Given that the work of the author of the gloss multitask, plan to "work" intervals with specific tasks. To write, perhaps you prefer 7am, but to conduct an interview on Skype or to go to the show will have at another time.
Filling out weekly schedule the main task – "mandatory" and "working" – don't forget the list of things not tied to time. Tasks from this list perform in intervals between the basic, choosing according to their importance.
In order to improve the efficiency of use and other rules of time management.
The basic rules of time management
1) Measure — to be effective, you need to know how long it takes or that your activity. How much time you need to draw up a detailed plan for articles, check your stats or to clarify the scientific evidence, write a letter or proposal to the editor, make a list of questions to the expert? How many minutes/hours are you willing to give Internet every day in exchange for fun? How much time are you writing in one sitting – what is your optimal writing time-out after which you need to take a break?
2) Determine the main absorbers of time: Internet, conversations are not essentially tea ceremonies, etc. Write them. Make your demotivators! Typically, absorbers are found after careful measurements: see previous paragraph.
3) Keep the schedule in front of the eyes and in the allotted time, do what you have planned. First of all, it concerns the important tasks! Sometimes we are willing to push a scheduled task, suggesting that later will catch up. But unfortunately, and then to allocate time in these deferred cases does not work. If you regularly do not act on the plan, think about its rationality. Perhaps your plan is structured incorrectly.
4) On the plan not more than 3-4 major cases. Each allot at least one hour (and sometimes two) between them make half-hour breaks. More to do you just don't have time. So why make unrealistic plans?
5) Small daily things you bring to automatism and complete after the main. Remember, these things know how to shrink! Usually, they take exactly as much time as you they are willing to allocate.
6) Learn how to move cases to the end that more to him not to return. This applies not only to work. Any "debt" — financial or business — ruining mood and destroying your confidence. They distract from new cases. Sometimes we just can't start a new project until the old is closed.
7) Learn to do well the first time. Reworking takes more time. Of course, the work of the author provides for revision: to write high-quality text, you have to pause and give the text to lie down. But the better you write the first time, the less you will spend time then.
8) Start working day with small but meaningful for you: choose either that there is been putting off (unpleasant, but important task), or, conversely, what you really like. In both cases, the mood will improve, and you will be able to tick that the first thing done.
9) Periodically allocate a day to disassemble and to finish little tasks day in and day remain on the sidelines. This can be a everyday little things that constantly remind myself do not give work quietly.
10) after lunch to stay in shape, do not overeat. After any meal, the body needs strength to digest. Blood will pour mainly to the digestive organs, and therefore, the brain some time it will "starve". Therefore try to eat easily digestible foods in the diet include fruits and vegetables and don't forget to drink regular clean water.
11) Remember: 20% of efforts give 80% of the result, and the remaining 80% of the effort — only 20% of the result. Analyze your inefficient 80% of effort, find a better use for them.
More useful tips on optimization of work you will find in the knowledge Base. (Learn more in the near future).
Irina Golubeva School authors gloss